The year 1919 found people moving to the city of Miami and the surrounding area in ever-increasing numbers. Miami, Okla., had grown from a crossroads community to the largest lead and zinc mining area in the world.
Several civic leaders undertook a project to raise funds to build a hospital for Miami and the surrounding area. This group lead by James Fountain Robinson also included George L. Coleman, Al Coleman, and C.M. Harvey. Raising $150,000 to build the hospital, the founders deeded it to the Oklahoma Baptist Convention who agreed to operate it.
The Miami Baptist Hospital opened July 1, 1919, with a 62-bed capacity. The original structure was a three-story building with a basement and sun porches on each floor. Through the years, a number of building additions and renovations have been made, with the basic original structure still being used today. One of the first major projects enclosed the sun porches and made the basement into the first floor providing a four-story structure.
The name was changed to Baptist Regional Health Center in 1983 to reflect a growing service area and the broader scope of services offered. In 1986, the hospital was part of the Baptist Healthcare Organization, which consisted of 12 rural hospitals. In the early 1990s, major changes in the delivery of health care led hospitals to build affiliations to prepare for a managed care environment. In 1995, a merger was agreed upon between BHO, Baptist Medical Center and Southwest Medical Center in Oklahoma City. The new corporation emerged as the Oklahoma Health System. In September 1995, the corporation name was changed to INTEGRIS Health with the hospital's official name becoming INTEGRIS Baptist Regional Health Center.
In 2016, the name was changed to INTEGRIS Miami Hospital represent the commitment to the Miami community. Today, INTEGRIS Miami Hospital is a full service medical and acute care facility with 117 beds and a host of outpatient services and programs.